   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP, XSD, and HTTP

That is the magick of misdirection, Alaric.   Keep them
attending something trivial while one manages the trick
out of sight.

Consider that every time some people don't like a
technical proposal, they claim it violates the 80/20
rule, as if this were holy writ instead of simple
common sense about engineering.  Consider
the comment that XSD is ok if you happen to be
a relational or object-oriented database designer.
Well, my guess is, that at least 80 percent of those
who are designing with XML schema languages ARE using
one or both of those technologies, so under that holy
rule, XSD is the logical choice and perhaps the other
20% should just accept that and sit down.  No?

No exceptions to holy writ?

I like alternatives.  Would that those who flame so
high and so hotly over these issues did as well as
they flame.  XSD isn't something to be resisted. It
is something to be understood and applied with
that understanding.  I see REST and SOAP from the
same viewpoint.  Sensible adjustments made in
light of new developments are the way to go.

len

From: Alaric Snell [mailto:alaric@alaric-snell.com]

I don't see 'REST vs RPC'. I see REST as just a name for certain useful
features of an RPC system... 'REST vs RPC' is like 'Cheese vs Pizza'.

The stuff about state management is far from 'un RPC' - just look at NFS.