   Re: [xml-dev] Illegal Characters in Namespace URIs

At 1:28 PM -0700 6/16/02, Tim Bray wrote:

>Section 1. says "An XML namespace is a collection of names,
>identified by a URI reference [RFC2396],"; this is echoed in section
>2., which says  "The attribute's value, a URI reference, is the
>namespace name identifying the namespace."  Agreed that none of the
>apparatus of 2396 is copied in, so the constraint is strictly by
>reference to that RFC.

Yes, I read all that. However, document conformance is defined by
Section 6 which states:

In XML documents which conform to this specification, element types
and attribute names must match the production for QName and must
satisfy the "Namespace Constraints".

An XML document conforms to this specification if all other tokens in
the document which are required, for XML conformance, to match the
XML production for Name, match this specification's production for
NCName.

That's it. The next couple of paragraphs elaborate this, but do not
add any further constraints. Since the URI reference is not part of
the BNF grammar or a namespace constraint, it seems possible to claim
conformance with non-URI values.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |