   RE: [xml-dev] Programming for Markup vs. Markup for Programming

But stamping it out is just as bad.  You want to profile it.
That preserves options for global applications while reducing
options for local applications to get a profile
that matches your reduced needs for the features of XML that
you don't want, like, or don't need for your applications.

Again:

XML1.0 = Core
CORE + (anything to the right of the plus, eg, namespaces)

Yes, I realize that people want namespaces in core.  It's
a bad idea and if these threads don't get that across
clearly, people aren't listening.  There is a lot of
basic work that can be done that never touches namespaces.
The core should be the absolute smallest set of features
that guarantee global interoperability.

What you are left with is a need to be able to state when
your system is only using core or some other profile.

len