   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question)

Jeff Greif scripsit:

> If the URI is meant to be dereferenced, the 'rule' is given force by means
> of the inability of anyone but microsoft.com to control the representation
> that will be returned.  If the URI is not supposed to be dereferenced, then
> the rule is just a convention, right?  Or am I missing something?

It is a convention, but it is the convention that underpins the choice of
URIs as namespace names.  The Java package name convention uses the same
concept: don't allocate a package that you don't (by the rules) control.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        jcowan@reutershealth.com
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There are