   RE: [xml-dev] Programming for Markup vs. Markup for Programming

Len Bullard replied:
>Nah, that is too far down.  It is a markup system.

Yep.  Markup is the big leap from plain text.  I don't think markup itself
is the cause of interop problems, especially given XML's syntactic
rigidity.  (Whether markup is more or less interoperable than plain text is
debatable, but I'd argue on the side of markup.)

>I hate to say it, but it is a well-formed only core.
>So we'd have to rip out DTDs and some other stuff.

There we are, sad though it may seem.  The TAM work I'm doing is designed
to support a DOCTYPE-less universe, though it passes the DOCTYPE info to
applications that want it.

>Dang... now I do have a bad taste in my mouth just
>I was taking medicine that I needed but was ick.

Yep.  All that time I spent explaining notations, and here I go putting
them aside...

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue