   [ANN]: Software to convert Relational Databases to XML documents

Hi,

I would like to announce a small piece of software which we wrote to
convert relational databases to XML documents. This works on any database
that can be accessed via JDBC.

You can download the software from
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~mani/net/vldb/code/

please download the cot.jar and check CotReadme.txt

Main features are:

(a) A database is converted into one document. This is our belief, and
this ensures that we do not need to define cross-document referencing.

(b) Relationships are represented in multiple ways:
	(i) parent child relationships represent 1:n relationships
	(ii) ID-IDREF represent 1:n relationships
	(iii) foreign key/key represent relationships like in relational
	databases

I would like to argue that these are excellent candidates for data
modeling using XML schemas.

Furthermore, I will do a poster presenation on the details of this at
Extreme. And there is a nocturne scheduled on Wednesday, this will cover
data modeling using xml schemas in general.

I would appreciate if you would be able to test the software and give any
comments you have on the approaches.

thanks and regards - murali.