   Re: [xml-dev] Tags and Types (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: maps)

From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@attbi.com>

 > same for dates, you can't be sure someone won't type the month before the
> day, or day before the month, before or after the year... as they say when
> you assume ...

I think you have a different use case in mind (which is legitimate): you are
thinking more in terms of some kind of web interface or document type
where there are multiple idioms in different locales possible, and you
would have not control over what is used.

I am thinking more in terms of where a house-style can be imposed,
such as a publishing house. Or where it is pre-existing data that is
being marked up, so we just want tagging not re-keying. For example,
in Australian documents,  7/8/2002  day/month/year.   Or where it
is desired to author the document according to the local or corporate
idiom so that the XML is more directly writable/readable/renderable.

Cheers
Rick