   RE: [xml-dev] Comparable considered necessary

  • To: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Comparable considered necessary
  • From: "Manos Batsis" <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:05:02 +0300
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

> From: Dare Obasanjo [mailto:dareo@microsoft.com]

> The example was purposely simplistic to illustrate a point.
> You and Manos have failed to see the point which indicates
> that it is probably more subtle than I thought. It isn't
> worth going into a lengthy exposition about though so I'll
> just leave it at "An identifier is not a location".

Dare, that quote means nothing to me. An identifier is just that and it's roles can be many, while I am interested in DNS based schemes. You have only used XML Names and XML Schemas for your arguments; their case is just a fragment of URI use and I'm only forced to use the first nowdays. I don't care about case sensitivity in XML Names; I do care about identifying resources, something that XML Names failed to do miserably (along with the mistake of using http URIs that are supposed to be addressable).

> Feel free to disagree.

Thanks!

Manos