   Re: [xml-dev] Formulae and Patterns (again) (Was: Types (again))

Imposed upon it by language, experience organized by what we know to be
expressible or that we know how to express.  Sapir-Whorf::linguistic
determinism.  Which is merely to label, not affirm.

It would seem that it is the fate of our project of naming to recreate
on a practical level the philosophical positions which accompanied the
last hundred years of linguistics research.  This may well be a necessity,
but it does not change the outcome: the center does not hold.  Nuance and
play trump structure.  Or better, fleshes out a living organism on the
skeleton of constructs.

The machines will have to learn to cope.  Transformations are one key to
enabling a lively, local idiom.  Some constructs must live in the
stylesheets to satisfy codability (the linguistic kind) as a
comprehensive structure constitutes both the heat-death of a language as
well as a logistical impossibility in most cases.

The recent post excerpted from Orwell comes to mind.

Mike