   RE: [xml-dev] What the .... ? Referencing XSL stylesheets across domains

  • To: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>,"bryan" <bry@itnisk.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What the .... ? Referencing XSL stylesheets across domains
  • From: "Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer" <schnitz@mozquito.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:48:30 +0200

And I agree too, of course. But that wasn't the issue. I never
asked about VBscript in my XSL in the first place. And I
wasn't aware how harmful XSL can be. An XML stylesheet
wasn't meant to be a security problem in the first place,
and extending it for some 20% cases (allowing scripts) so it is
treated as a security problem for the other 80% cases (just
using XSL as it is) doesn't make sense to me. CSS
was never extended with scripts and works just fine
cross-domain in IE and all other browsers. Why
can't just the stylesheets with scripts get the quarantine
behaviour? Why must every cross-domain XSL be treated as if
it would contain a malicious script, even though it doesn't use
script at all? This would be similar to saying you can't view
plain HTML pages unless its a trusted site because the HTML
could possibly contain a malicious script.

As it stands, I'm afraid your cure is worse than the disease,

- Sebastian