   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Can XLink be fixed?

/ Joe English <jenglish@flightlab.com> was heard to say:
[...]
| Come to think of it, if the Infoset augmentation is expressed
| as a set of attributes with a distinguished namespace name,
| instead of as a new set of [information item]s, then
| the current XLink draft could work unchanged.

I don't think that's quite true. The XLink attributes allow you to
express complex linking relationships in a fairly compact form. The
augmented infoset, as proposed in the linking and style note at least,
untangles the compactness and produces a more verbose, but entirely
regular set of "link elements".

| You just
| need to explicitly state that the xlink:* attributes need
| not be present in the source document,

That's already true in the sense that linkbases can be external.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | There has never been a perfect government,
XML Standards Architect | because men have passions; and if they did