   Re: [xml-dev] XML, hypertext

Simon,

Let's say I have markup, based on a standard or else something that I made up, that defines relationships between my resources (or portions of resources) and other ones. For example, my keyword elements have a definition attribute that points to a definition--they <keyword definition="http://agniweb.com/dict/dict.cgi?query=reference&dict=*&strategy=*";>reference</keyword> the definition. When I prepare this markup for use on a particular rendering device, I can convert that markup to whatever is appropriate for that device to represent the link.

What do you see as missing here that needs to be added? Do you want a standard that lets us use the original XML natively on the rendering devices, in which case we need to mix in some presentation information with the structural information? (Which of course sets off a buzzer in my old SGML head...)

Maybe a good working definition of hyper(text/link/media) is something we need to start with, if that's what we're building around. The XLink Rec (and despite my complaints about the it, I do like its definitions) defines a hyperlink as "a link that is intended primarily for presentation to a human user," which sounds pretty presentation-oriented to me!

But to get back to my original question: what do you see an XML-based hypertext effort as adding, and to what?