   RE: [xml-dev] XML, hypertext

Hi Bob

Bob said:
Maybe a good working definition of hyper(text/link/media) is something
we need to start with, if that's what we're building around. The XLink
Rec (and despite my complaints about the it, I do like its definitions)
defines a hyperlink as "a link that is intended primarily for
presentation to a human user," which sounds pretty presentation-oriented
to me!

Didier replies:
Good point. What are the underlying operations we can do with a link?
a) aggregate
b) replace
c) move to
d) any other idea?

Len lead me to the idea that maybe we need an hyperlink algebra like the
relational algebra already has. I think that links are intrinsically
linked to an operation. Maybe we can say that a link is an operation -
involving external content - to be performed by an agent. What we need
though, is to explicitly specify these operations. Reading again the
xlink specs it is clear that the intent was for rendetion to human
beings (or ETs :-) ) since several keywords have a rendition
connotation.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin