   RE: [xml-dev] linking, 80/20

To parse it for well-formedness, no.  To do anything
past that, yes.  It will be in the documentation.  As
Jonathan said, progress is made in the semantic world
by having a precise formal kind of documentation for
the namespace.   Umm... from genCoding to Document
Type Definitions.  We seem to be deja re-viewing.

Choose:

NOTATION - tell me where the processor for this
element is (inline)

MIME - give me a name for finding a processor for
this document is (objects are ortho-docs)

namespace - tell me where to find the instructions
for building a processor for this guy is, or for
finding the directions to where the processor for
this guy is, or where the processor is and
I can figure out the scope of this guy if you
did it all correctly

SGML just conflated well-formedness and validity.
Otherwise, XML works the same way as SGML.  Both
depend on external documents ultimately.

len