   Re: [xml-dev] linking, 80/20

/ Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> was heard to say:
| At 4:41 PM -0400 8/19/02, John Cowan wrote:
|
|>Naah.  Namespaces are designed to prevent name collisions and that's it.
|>Anything else is all in your head.
|
| That's the common refrain, and it may be true historically, but in
| practice I don't believe it. The primary use I see for namespaces is
| to quickly and easily recognize elements from particular vocabularies,
| even in the absence of local name conflicts. Resolving name conflicts
| is actually quite rare.

That's saying the same thing. Just like someone else said the same
thing a few minutes ago (to which Tim Bray replied).

It's called x:body so you can distinguish it from y:body because if it
was just called 'body' there'd be a name collision. The fact that this
means you can identify an x:body easily is no more or less important
than the fact that you could have identified a body without a
namespace if it weren't for the fact that it would the collide with
other body elements.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--