   RE: [xml-dev] Shortcomings of Predicate Logic? (was RE: [xml-dev ] RDF

Brilliant stuff.  Postmodernism has kept many
a professor supplied with topics until tenure.

Still, one can stand back and bracket much
of what they are saying with qualifiers of
how humans think and communicate, and keep
the baby.  My eyes also glaze over at the
"no dead atoms" ideas even if they are
spiritually appealing.

Our problem is that we think
we are teaching machines to think when all
they can do is compute, and we make an
even more hideous mistake when we take
that thought to the press and the public
and get them to believe us.  I liked
Djkstra's reply when asked, "Can computers think?
Can submarine's swim?"

If the thing being modeled is human, we don't
model a machine.  His reply cuts both ways.

len