   Re: [xml-dev] Architectural Forms (was Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 2.0 and the d

Catching up, in part.

> Uche Ogbuji:
> > > (and architectural forms).
> >
> > So how often do you use architectural forms?
>
> Actually, I use them all them all the time.  I use a weak and maybe
> corrupt version called the CLASS attribute in HTML, but it's really
> handy for saying things like "this DIV is really a PRODUCT_NUMBER".  CSS
> does nicely with that, and so can XSLT.

If that's what you call using AFs, then I predict this argument's going
nowhere fast.  It does confirm what I thought, though.

> I haven't used AFs for attributes since XLink dropped them, but elements
> are more typically what concerns me.

As I said.  Confirmed.

> > I must say that for the vocabularies I deal with, I prefer XLink's
> > current approach to the AF approach.  It's possible that I would feel
> > differently about this is XML had an AF mechanism that was as simple
> > and widespread as XML Namespaces.
>
> I think namespaces are widely supported, yes.  Whether namespaces are
> actually as good an idea as AFs (or as simple in principle) is still a
> topic for some hot debate.  Check the archives for postings by Arjun Ray
> or Steven Newcomb for more details on this.
>
> The deeper we get into namespaces, the more I appreciate AFs.  I can't
> say I thought that would happen.

I just want to point out that I like AFs.  I like the ideas behind them, and I
appreciate the arguments that have been made that they are a more general
system than namespaces.  My point is that this is all abstract AFAIC, because
I don't use them.  None of my tools do, and I haven't got around to using
anything that does.  I do use namespaces all the time, though, and usually
with little incident, so I am naturally fine with a solution based on NS.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF - http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC