From: Joe English [mailto:jenglish@flightlab.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 4:57 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] the infoset is two infosets (or even three?) [was:
Re: [xml-dev] linking, 80/20]

Paul Prescod wrote:

> David Carlisle wrote:
> >
> > namespace-alias does work at the level of uri, it aliases any elements
> > in one namespace to elements in another, whatever prefix is used on the
> > elements (you get no control over the prefix that is actually used in
> > the result) You use prefixes to specify the two uri, but that is the
> > same as the uses of prefixes in Xpath expressions, the prefix is just a
> > local reference to the namepsace uri, it is the uri that are used in all
> > later processing.
>
> I think that Leigh was pointing out that it pretty much requires you to
> have two prefixes for the same URI (especially the XSLT URI) which is
> not allowed by Joe English's proposal.

Actually, I don't think namespace-alias does introduce
any insanity (at least in the strict technical sense :-).

In the stylesheet, there are still two different namespace names
bound to two different prefixes.  xsl:namespace-alias just
specifies an additional transform to be performed on output --
change the namespace name referenced by the stylesheet-prefix
to the one referenced by the result-prefix.

Identifying the namespace names by prefix instead of by URI
does violate the "no QNames-in-content" rule, sort of, but
none of the other Principles of Sanity.

> If prefixes were taken out of the
> mix entirely then the problem would go away. As you point out that is
> really a syntactic, not semantic, change.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com