   Re: [xml-dev] Why is there no schema for RSS?

Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> In my daily blog stroll a few days ago I came across a post by Mark
> Pilgrim at
> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/08/20.html#how_liberal_is_too_liberal
>
> which implies that there are lots of broken RSS feeds on the web today.
> Considering that the describing a structure for XML and ensuring that
> documents conform to that structure is generally a solved problem I find
> it perplexing that no schema for RSS (besides an RDF schema) exists.
>
> Anyone care to enlighten me?

RSS 0.92 was developed by Dave Winer, who is of the
"here's what a sample document looks like" school
of formal specifications :-)

Regarding the RDF schema for RSS 1.0, as far as I know --
please correct me if I'm wrong -- an RDF schema doesn't actually
imply any notion of "validity"; it just makes statements like
"resources of class X may have properties of type Y with a domain
of type Z".  (And since any such statement is true already,
regardless of whether or not it is asserted by an RDF schema,
I suspect that RDFS is meant to be informative rather than
prescriptive.)

Leigh Dodds wrote a Schematron schema for RSS 1.0 though:

    < http://www.ldodds.com/rss_validator/1.0/ >

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com