   Re: [xml-dev] Byzantine schism

Didier PH Martin wrote:
> b) not using it: 3 (XHTML, XForm, SMIL, XSL-FO)
Oops!

> Note: XSL_FO specifications (Oct 15 2001) where published after the
> xlink recommendation (June 27 2001).
Well, this is hardly an argument, 5 months cannot be
expected to be anough to get some changes like XLink
in. I also think the lack of readily pluggable XLink
processors does not exactly encourage adoption of
XLink in any spec (including non-W3C specs).

It could be interesting to look at the details: XSLFO
could use links/references for three purposes:
- The external-graphics has a "src" attribute, quite
   similar to HTML img src. The object retrieved from
   the URL is to be displayed.
- The icc-color-profile has also a "src" attribute, this
   time it points to a ressource which is used while
   rendering other stuff, a bit different in semantics
   from the above.
- There is a quite explicit basic-link (but no non-basic
   link :-), which uses either an internal-destination
   (basically an IDREF if the FO's ids were IDs), or
   an external-desitnation (an URL). That'd be a prime
   candidate for some XLink stuff.

If we are at it, XSLT also has "href" attributes on the
xsl:include and xsl:import elements. Whether this is
a case for XLink can be discussed. The more interesting
case is the proposed xsl:document, which also takes a
href, but this is the destination of the output. I'm
not sure whether and how this would fit with any XLink
semantic.

Another important link is, obviously, the link from a
document to a DTD. Yeah, this has been nailed down in
the XML spec itself and is hardly up for a change. But
there is also the recommended practice to link (sic)
a document to a XSchema (or was it to link an XSchema
to the document?) Anyway, from time to time the question
of "How do I specify multiple DTDs/schemas/... to validate
against?" crops up, and seems to be nicely solved by a
multi target XLink...I can even see the dialog box pop
up with the selection "Which schema do you want to validate
against today?" :)

Furthermore, I havn't had a look at encryption&signing
for some time, but I vaguely remember there are links
(well, references) to certificates and such as well.

On a related note, there is an XInclude spec, and XSLT has
its own xsl:include... didn't SVG also have its own include
mechanism? And there are still entities...

I hope this isn't too byzantine to everybody and somebody
can link it all together...

J.Pietschmann