   Re: [xml-dev] Byzantine schism

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Question: Is there any integration or consistency checking process in
> W3C. If not, we may have the explanation. Even if a lot of brilliant
> people are active participant to the W3C WG, if wrong processes are
> used, wrong results occurs. I may have the best wood to make the best
> furniture and still get garbage if I use a mini mill manufacture to
> produce the them. If W3C has such consistency checking mechanism can I
> say WAKE UP! :-)

Yes, there is an immense amount of co-ordination work going on all the
time.  There are several "co-ordination groups" whose mandate is doing
just this.  This work is not fun.  There are frequent complaints about
the volume of work and the cost of the ensuing compromises.

There is not, however, a grand unified vision of the future which
provides an overarching framework that the working groups take as
context.  Thank goodness.  Do you know anyone who can predict the
big-picture future of the Web?  I don't.  The grand visions of the
future come unexpected out of coders' basements and off power-lunch
cocktail napkins.  All W3C can do is try to shake out a set of best
common practices so we can make the sucker interoperate and provide some
local entropy resistance. -Tiim