   RE: [xml-dev] SML (was Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services)

  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] SML (was Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services)
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 08:59:58 -0800

Simon, the markup folks are already outnumbered by the folks who are simply using XML as a general purpose mechanism for exchanging or representing structured data (i.e. people who'd be happy with S-expressions). Developers and content creators that use XML for things like RSS feeds, config files, an exportation format for databases, wire communication language, etc are not using XML as markup and outnumber those who do.

The only difference is now some of those people have decided to influence the directin and future of XML & it's attendant technologies instead of just using it for what they want and ignoring  the dream of "SGML on the Web".