   Xqueeze: Compact XML Alternative

Hi all!

I have been through past discussions on this list and elsewhere about
efforts to streamline XML through methods like compression,
"binarization" etc. and also the reasons why such mechanisms are not
widely accepted.

Seemingly, the fact that overall contribution of XML generation and
parsing to the performance of an application is too small to warrant
payoffs in flexibility is a deteriment to the adoption of binary XML
formats. With compression, one ends up spending more computation power
and saving in bandwidth usage is not enough to justify that extra
computation power.

I have tried to develop a binary representation of XML that can be
directly generated and parsed (without intermediate forms), can offer
DOM and SAX interfaces, is quite compact and works for any document
type, provided that a specification (DTD as of now) exists. I also
expect it to be faster to parse and generate though I don't have test
data to verify this.

I request you to review this project and conclude whether it is
worthwhile to develop further. Please see
http://xqueeze.sourceforge.net for details. This is still in
experimental stages and not complete or ready for deployment yet.

Thank you.

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
http://staff.ncst.ernet.in/tahir

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed