   Re: [xml-dev] Xqueeze: Compact XML Alternative

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 08:08:58 -0800, Joe English <jenglish@flightlab.com>
wrote:

> Mike Champion wrote:
>
>> Here's just a couple tidbits from today's surfing
>> http://www.bea.com/events/webservices/Bosworth_WSRC_Jan03.pdf -- an Adam
>> Bosworth "vision thing" piece.  Note p. 43 about XML databases (and
>> obviously the middleware and applications they support) serving up XML
>> messages/fragments/state thousands of times per second. How sure are we
>> that bandwidth/parsing performance is not a bottleneck in such a
>> scenario?
>
> Profile the code?

Right answer, but it's a bit hard to profile visionware :-)  The textbook
answer is to worry about architectural performance issues at design time
and performance tuning after the system is running.  Is this an
architectural issue or a tuning issue?  I think good arguments can be made
either way.

FWIW, I personally have been bitten on both sides of the butt by this one --
 getting involved in projects that could not possibly meet the performance
objectives (until the project was so late that Moore's Law bailed it out!),
and those that highly optimized the non-bottlenecks.  It seems like a hard
truth that in middleware that is doing very little BUT processing XML,
issues that would be trivial performance expenditures in an XML application
can become bottlenecks very easily.