   Re: [xml-dev] Xqueeze: Compact XML Alternative

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 09:07:20 -0500
Chiusano Joseph wrote:

> Would you have a sense of how this binary representation comparse with
> that of ASN.1 [1]?

ASN.1 is, from what I gather, a method of specifying data formats in
communication protocols and there are facilities for interconversion
between ASN.1 and XML but I'm not sure whether one can generate SAX
events or construct a DOM tree directly from an ASN.1 format document.
They say that no tree information is stored in the binary encoding[2].

Apparently, you can generate an ASN.1 binary encoding for your
language specification and there are tools that will generate parsers
in several languages for that format[3]. The problem here is that
you'd have to modifiy your parser every time you make changes to your
specification. This is a major headache, IMHO, since you'll have to
bundle a parser with your applications and off-the-shelf parsers would
be unusable.

With Xqueeze, all that you need to port an existing XML-based
application to xqML based one is an off-the-shelf xqML parser at the
consumer end and an xqML generator at the source end. [On this
thought, is there a standard API for generating XML documents? I have
implemented counterparts of some of expat's API for XML. I also was
suggested to implement API for generating xqML from a given DOM tree
but I haven't done that yet.]

Please correct me if I have misunderstood some or all of this.

[2] http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/benefits.htm
[3] http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/links/#tools

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
http://staff.ncst.ernet.in/tahir

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed