   Re: [xml-dev] Xqueeze: Compact XML Alternative

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 10:02 AM -0500 2/4/03, Mike Champion wrote:
>> Or one could say it's one of the hard unsolved problems that would
>> garner great rewards for its conqueror :-)
>
> One could say that, but one would be wrong. :-) This problem has been
> solved multiple times in the past, and doubtless will continue to be
> solved in the future. Nobody seems to actually use any of the solutions.

That's not actually true. The problem has been solved several times, in a number
of different ways. Not all of those ways are equivalent in their capabilities. A
lot of them are specific to a vocabulary. Others are specific to an industry.

The solutions are standardized here and there, shipped in software packages, set
-top boxes, mobiles phones... However they tend to get little publicity because
they are so balkanised.

I think it would do the field much good, to spare us wheel reinvention and
interop nightmares, if we were to have a single open and standard spec adressing
the requirements usually put forth for binary infosets (speed, weigth,
streamability, random access). In my opinion of course such a format would be
built on ideas found in BiM, but I could be slightly biased ;)

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/