   Re: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

Mike Champion wrote,
> Competition is good, but stovepipes are not so good.  Forks lead to
> stovepipes: Java, C/C++, and C# as actually practiced are essentially
> three separate environments -- if one chooses to develop a product,
> one has to either choose one over the others or invest *significant*
> resources in separate code bases, porting tools, or whatever.  Thus
> innovative tools or implementations of new ideas tend to be available
> in only one of the above. There ain't no way (AFAIK) to work in
> Microsoft's best-of-breed IDE and use the great open source Java code
> out there.  I for one consider that a problem.  [MS may consider it a
> solution, I'm not going there :-) ]

I'm not sure I really follow your train of thought here. I guess what
you're saying is that stovepipes are the (common? typical?) result of
_not_ being able to choose between committing to a single language/
platform or investing resources in multiple languages/platforms.

So what's new? People want to have their cake and eat it and end up with
complex, uncoordinated, Heath Robinson contraptions built from a
grab-bag of more or less individually appropriate components stitched
together with ad-hocery and duct tape. The problem (unless you favour
monoculture on ideological grounds) isn't diversity ... it's people
reacting inappropriate in the face of diversity.

I also find it odd that your main explicit gripe seems to be that MS's
_IDE_ doesn't get along well with OS Java packages. Yet more proof,
IMO, that IDEs are evil, whatever language they're targetted at.

Cheers,

Miles