   headers (was ERH on Web Services

mc@xegesis.org (Mike Champion) writes:
>> I used to appreciate Paul Prescod's point that the significant
>> contribution of SOAP is the extensibility XML gives header formats.
>
>That is exactly the major contribution of SOAP to the world.

If that's SOAP's major contribution, then it's time to pack up and go
home.  Extensible header formats sound fine to me.  Mashing the header
and body together in one XML document SOAP envelope style is a
trainwreck, if one that no one's yet noticed.  I love it when my mail
arrives with the envelope stuck to the contents.

But then maybe the value of the MIME approach's separation between
processing metadata and content is just too hard to see?  (And yes, I
consider HTML meta elements a strange and ugly hack.)

Even in a disagreement about Web Services, I guess I'm stuck disagreeing
with the one point of agreement.  Fine way to spend a Sunday morning.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!