   Re: [xml-dev] New XML tool for improving data-processing performance

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:08:34 +0900, Shigeru Yoshida <yoshida.shig-
04@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> We have developed the software named "CSV* compaction for XML" to solve
> the XML's inefficiency problem for data-centric XML documents in record
> form.

Interesting ... more fuel for the "is XML a syntax or data model" and
"should efficiently parseable serializations of the Infoset be
standardized" fires :-)

I didn't see anything in the linked document about how it would handle XML
with more than two levels of nesting under the root. Is that out of scope,
i.e. that's the definition of "record form"?  Or did I miss something?

BTW, the patent on this will raise some eyebrows; I'm pretty sure the basic
idea of converting back and forth between CSV and simple XML formats has
been around since the earliest days of data-oriented XML, and an abundance
of prior art could be easily uncovered.