   Re: [xml-dev] Re: How to redesign W3C XML Schema (Was: Remembering the

Quoting Chiusano Joseph <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>:

> <Excerpt1>
> Why is it so difficult to mix multiple namespaces?
> </Excerpt1>
>
> Not sure what you mean by this - are you referring to the fact that a
> W3C schema can have only one target namespace? Or perhaps the multiple
> attributes (namespace prefix declaration and schema location) that
> appear in the root element of a schema?

In XML instances it is very simple to determine when a
prefix/namespace is allowed or not. In XML schema this is
not the case. Considering things like "redefine" of an
element which was originally declared in schema A using
a namespace which is imported from schema B - shiver!

> <Excerpt2>
> A schema A can include B. Excellent! But why can A use components from
> schema B?
> </Excerpt2>
>
> Not sure what you mean by this.

See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2002Jan/0116.html,
question 2.

> <Excerpt3>
> Why the nonsense with "final" and "block"?
> </Excerpt3>
>
> Not sure what "nonsense" you mean - these attributes have well-defined
> and useful application.  The "final" attribute is used to prohibit
> complex datatype derivation, while the "restriction" attribute is used
> to prohibit the use of derived complex datatypes.  There are distinct
> cases in which these are needed.

I wouldn't say that these things have no meaning. However, assuming
the possibility that we had a "simple XML Schema" and an extended
version (the current): Where would you place them? Again, think of
those poor souls having to implement a schema parser?

Jochen