   Re: [xml-dev] XML for RFCs

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Alaric B. Snell wrote:

I have marked up with my own format all RFC's
http://zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC_share/Output/index.html

 (it took me a year and the format is heavily optimized to enable mark up
of plain  texts). I keep the repository up to date.

I could not use  RFC-2629:
Writing I-Ds and RFCs using XML
http://zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2629/Output/index.html

 as it would take me several times longer to
accomplish the task.

"Individually trivial" is not the right word if you have to mark-up 3000+
documents and to stay at least partially sane ;)

> A few people have been messing about with XML-ising RFCs.
>
> There used to be a company (which I can no longer find; XML and RFC gets far
> too many matches in Google) who were paying students to mark up RFCs into
> their XML structure.
>
> There have been a few efforts to do basic markup of RFCs in XML, but too many
> of them still just rely on large <pre> - style sections for the diagrams and
> so on.
>
> What would be ideal is to have something like DocBook for RFCs, that can be
> rendered into the standard plain text style with a combination of XSLT and
> other software, but can also be put into HTML and other formats.
>
> And the real killer app would be if the ABNF and packet diagrams had a formal
> notation in the XML, making it possible for protocol analyser tools like
> Ethereal and tcpdump to take RFCs as input and automatically generate parsers
> for IETF protocols!
>
> Particularly useful in the Assigned Numbers RFCs.
>
> There are three prongs to this work:
>
> 1) Making a decent DTD that handles all the different types of tables and
> diagrams found in RFCs, or at least the important ones; diagrams that are
> purely for illustration would have less priority than diagrams that could be
> used to automatically drive conformance test systems and derive skeleton
> implementations.
>
> 2) Marking up existing RFCs (time consuming, but individually trivial)
>
> 3) Getting the IETF interested in publishing new RFCs in this format for the
> greater good of humanity
>
> Comments?
>
> ABS

<firstName> Miloslav </firstName>