   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 February 2003 03:17, Tim Bray wrote:
>>Syntax is a
>>qualitatively, consistently, dramatically better basis for
>>interoperation; desires to interoperate at the data model level, no
>>matter how reasonable, are apt to remain unfulfilled for the foreseable
>>future.  -Tim
>

> Hahah!  [...]

Interesting (I filed that one), but... XML 1.0 is working where API
styles did not work as well in the past. Nothing about phones (and
you left out the phone numbering system, which imo is textual)
explains that away. Granted, most people using XML are not working
at or below level 4, perhaps the system characteristics are
sufficiently different down there :)

I think something is missing from this thread - protocols. To share
information across systems, syntax + protocols is a winning approach
while models + types are much less so.

Bill de hÓra