   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 11:37, Bill de hÓra wrote:
> Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 February 2003 03:17, Tim Bray wrote:
> >>Syntax is a
> >>qualitatively, consistently, dramatically better basis for
> >>interoperation; desires to interoperate at the data model level, no
> >>matter how reasonable, are apt to remain unfulfilled for the foreseable
> >>future.  -Tim
> >
> > Hahah!  [...]
>
> Interesting (I filed that one), but... XML 1.0 is working where API
> styles did not work as well in the past. Nothing about phones (and
> you left out the phone numbering system, which imo is textual)
> explains that away. Granted, most people using XML are not working
> at or below level 4, perhaps the system characteristics are
> sufficiently different down there :)

Ok, how about image files?

Under Java, there's an image API, and ways of loading images from files that
hides all the GIF/PNG/JPEG distintion away from you unless you explicitly ask
to see it.

Java's API is a bit minimal - not sure how I'd specify image metadata with
it, and I suspect I just wouldn't - but it can be extended to cover those if
demand exists. However, it certainly covers the essential operations of
acting on a raster image, regardless of its representation.

ABS

--
A city is like a large, complex, rabbit
 - ARP