   Re: [xml-dev] What are people using SVG for?

[Dave Pawson]

> One argument against that Thomas.
> The partially sighted SVG user.
>     Can't hack anything less than 16/18/22 point.
>     Accepts that with his/her vision she'll have to pan a bit (OK a lot)
>     but  sure as hell will throw away the SVG if given 10 point.
>
> Accept that if you want the information conveyed,
> some aspects may be screwed from your perspective.
>
> I'd guess you'd want to get the information over more
> than you'd want it looking pretty?

Dave, that is a real concern that I am well aware of (I never use absolute
font sizes in my css style sheets, for example), and that is why there needs
to be some facility for an overall transform that can in fact scale the
entire diagram.  But when I am just changing the viewport, say, to get a
better fit on the screen, or to switch from protrait to landscape, I really
do not want the type sizes to change nor the aspect ratio of the letters to
be messed up, both of which happen as things are now.    The change of
aspect ratio of the letters can be more of a nuisance that simple size
changes.

How you can have syntax to distinguish the two cases seems a bit hard to me,
but I imagine it can be done.  Also, viewers generally have an overall zoom
function which could help.

Cheers,

Tom P