   Re: [xml-dev] What are people using SVG for?

Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> [Dave Pawson]
>>One argument against that Thomas.
>>The partially sighted SVG user.
>
> Dave, that is a real concern that I am well aware of (I never use absolute
> font sizes in my css style sheets, for example), and that is why there needs
> to be some facility for an overall transform that can in fact scale the
> entire diagram.  But when I am just changing the viewport, say, to get a
> better fit on the screen, or to switch from protrait to landscape, I really
> do not want the type sizes to change nor the aspect ratio of the letters to
> be messed up, both of which happen as things are now.    The change of
> aspect ratio of the letters can be more of a nuisance that simple size
> changes.

That's exactly what I meant by my (admittedly a bit short and cryptic) "two
different zooms" that would need to be added. One issue with that is that it has
to be generic, it can't be limited to text. That is, you need to define
potential zoom-stability for any object. And given that you also need
pan-stability. It shouldn't be too hard to specify.

Note that it can (and has been) be done rather easily with a little DOM coding.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/