   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for an example of a name colliision

"W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com> wrote:
| Chiusano Joseph wrote:

|> [...] I was referencing cases where one may want/need to combine
|> multiple vocabularies in the same document.
|
| Again, it's still not clear what you are offering in response to
| Bill de hÓra's original request, viz.:
|
|> Does anyone have an example of a collision that can only be solved,
|> or even best be solved with XML Namespaces?
|
| So far I have not seen even an example (i.e., within document scope)
| of a collision, let alone a collision which might impel us to XML
| Namespaces as a solution.

I'll offer an "example" (and a refutation thereof) that I'm somewhat
surprised has not yet been absorbed into XML Namespaces catechism.  I have
in mind Q8.5 in Ron Bourret's XML Namespaces FAQ:

 http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/NamespacesFAQ.htm#q8_5

Note that the example is rife with the usual fallacy of presuming "single
vocabulary defaulting must apply even when it obviously doesn't" - IOW,
excogitating syntactically visible names in isolation - to conclude that
there is a "name collision problem".

I provided a refutation more than three years ago:

 http://www.nyct.net/~aray/sgml/demo/dept/

The refutation has the virtue of using working software (and *old*, at
that!) to demonstrate the falsity of the example.  It also has the flaw
that classical AFs are overkill for such a demonstration in theory.  That
is, I had to develop a considerable amount of schema-related overhead to
make the AF-based demonstration work (but it *does* work), when with a
more modern approach using merely the key component of AFs - control
attributes in the instance markup - a suitably modified parser could do
all the necessary work and thus demonstrate that this is indeed merely a
parsing issue only.

(Note that some of the stuff in the session.txt file consists of ESIS
output rather than pointy brackets.  The point there was the "C" at the
end, overkill to demonstrate not only the extraction but that the
extraction was also schema-valid.)