   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for an example of a name colliision

<Quote>
could you then provide us an instance illustration?
</Quote>

Sure - here it is. This is an agency's schema (agency 1) that includes
the vocabulary of agency 2. The element "StateCode" is used in 2
different contexts for each vocabulary:

<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
	    xmlns:a1="http://www.agency1.gov";
	    xmlns:a2="http://www.agency2.gov";
            targetNamespace="http://www.agency1.gov";
            elementFormDefault="qualified">

...[import of agency 2's schema goes here]...

   <xsd:element name="Address">
          <xsd:complexType>
              <xsd:sequence>
                  <xsd:element ref="a1:Street"/>
                  <xsd:element ref="a1:City"/>
                  <xsd:element ref="a1:StateCode"/>
                  <xsd:element ref="a1:ZipCode"/>
                  <xsd:element ref="a1:Country"/>
            </xsd:sequence>
        </xsd:complexType>
    </xsd:element>

   <xsd:element name="ElementInformation">
          <xsd:complexType>
              <xsd:sequence>
                  <xsd:element ref="a2:Name"/>
                  <xsd:element ref="a2:StateCode"/>
			...[more stuff here]...
            </xsd:sequence>
        </xsd:complexType>
    </xsd:element>

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

"W. E. Perry" wrote:

> Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>
> > Absolutely. However, my references were to the use of namespaces to between vocabularies,
> > not within the same vocabulary. So I was referencing cases where one may want/need to
> > combine multiple vocabularies in the same document.
>
> Again, it's still not clear what you are offering in response to Bill de hÓra's original
> request, viz.:
>
> > Does anyone have an example of a collision that can only be solved, or even best be solved
> > with XML Namespaces?
>
> So far I have not seen even an example (i.e., within document scope) of a collision, let
> alone a collision which might impel us to XML Namespaces as a solution. In framing his
> original question, Bill de hÓra illustrated that the apparent example of collision used for
> illustration in the Namespaces Rec does not in fact evidence any such thing. Grant for the
> sake of this discussion that somewhere in the combination of 'multiple vocabularies in the
> same document' such an example is imaginable; could you then provide us an instance
> illustration?
>
> > By 2 different federal agencies using the element name "StateCode" in 2 different ways.
> > The 2 agencies do not collaborate on their element names, so they cannot agree to use 2
> > different names. Or, even if they did collaborate, there may be a very good reason to use
> > the same element name for these 2 different contexts.
>
> As you have framed this, the hypothetical collision will be found, if at all, on the plane
> of universal names, which is by definition not the scope of names in XML. Is there to your
> knowledge an example which can be framed as XML?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Walter Perry

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano