   Re: [xml-dev] Looking for an example of a name colliision

<Quote>
in any document using the a1 vocabulary, how can "StateCode" in the
sense of the a2 vocabulary be used?  Well, just use it!
</Quote>

I think I should be a bit clearer: In my example, the element
"StateCode" (a US state and the state of a chemical element) was
referenced twice, and in each reference it was in 2 separate namespaces.
If the 2 schemas (agency 1 and agency 2) shared the same namespace
(perhaps an overall "superagency" namespace), then name collision would
occur. My example was intended to demonstrate a case in which namespaces
prevented element name collision (and I think/hope it did).

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Arjun Ray wrote:

> "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com> wrote:
>
> | <Quote>
> | could you then provide us an instance illustration?
> | </Quote>
> |
> | Sure - here it is. This is an agency's schema (agency 1) that includes
> | the vocabulary of agency 2.
>
> Name collision at the *schema definition* level!?  This kind of thing was
> solved by ArchForms years ago.  You might even say that this was exactly
> why ArchForms were invented!  See, eg,
>
>   http://www.isogen.com/papers/archintro.htm
>
> | <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
> |           xmlns:a1="http://www.agency1.gov";
> |           xmlns:a2="http://www.agency2.gov";
> |             targetNamespace="http://www.agency1.gov";
> |             elementFormDefault="qualified">
> |
> | ...[import of agency 2's schema goes here]...
> |
> |    <xsd:element name="Address">
> |           <xsd:complexType>
> |               <xsd:sequence>
> |                   <xsd:element ref="a1:Street"/>
> |                   <xsd:element ref="a1:City"/>
> |                   <xsd:element ref="a1:StateCode"/>
> |                   <xsd:element ref="a1:ZipCode"/>
> |                   <xsd:element ref="a1:Country"/>
> |             </xsd:sequence>
> |         </xsd:complexType>
> |     </xsd:element>
>
> Or, for people who can sleep at night without a steady diet of pointy
> brackets:
>
>  <!ELEMENT  Address (Street, City, StateCode, ZipCode, Country) >
>
> |    <xsd:element name="ElementInformation">
> |           <xsd:complexType>
> |               <xsd:sequence>
> |                   <xsd:element ref="a2:Name"/>
> |                   <xsd:element ref="a2:StateCode"/>
> |                       ...[more stuff here]...
> |             </xsd:sequence>
> |         </xsd:complexType>
> |     </xsd:element>
>
>   <?IS10744:arch name="http://www.agency2.gov";
>                  form-att="a2" ?>
>
>   <!ELEMENT ElementInformation (Foo, Bar) >
>   <!ATTLIST Foo  a2   NAME  #FIXED  "Name" >
>   <!ATTLIST Bar  a2   NAME  #FIXED  "StateCode" >
>
> For a demonstration of how this particular usecase was a non-problem even
> before the colonification bogosity was invented:
>
>  http://www.nyct.net/~aray/sgml/demo/dept/
>
> But that's using old-fashioned tools.  As I understand this example, the
> point seems to be: in any document using the a1 vocabulary, how can
> "StateCode" in the sense of the a2 vocabulary be used?  Well, just use it!
> Simply annotate the use with an attribute saying "Oh by the way, this is
> in the a2 sense".
>
> Perhaps you mean that your *tools* have been coded to robotically examine
> GIs only?
>
> Well, that's a problem with the tools, not the formalism, no?

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano