   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT vs. CSS (Re: Indexing)

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> At 08:33 AM 7/9/2003 -0400, Mike Kozlowski wrote:

> >XSL-FO competes with CSS, yes.  HTML 3.2's formatting capabilities compete
> >with CSS, yes.  And XSLT is complementary with XSL-FO, HTML 3.2, and CSS.
>
> Wow. The discussion here began long ago with transformational styling (XSL)
> vs. annotative styling (CSS), and seems to have mired in various ways of
> pretending such a conflict does not exist and never existed because you can
> use XSLT to do produce things which happens to use CSS.

If you want to say that XSL-FO competes with CSS, as you now seem to be
saying, go ahead.  I won't argue.  That's explicitly not what you were
saying in the messages to which I'm responding, though, in which you were
specifically talking about XSLT rather than XSL-FO or even the more
general "XSL" term that you've used above.

My point was, and is, simply that XSLT and CSS are solving different
problems entirely, and don't directly compete in any way.  Is that a
statement with which you can agree?

--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.klio.org/mlk/