   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT vs. CSS (Re: Indexing)

At 05:13 PM 7/9/2003 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
>At 17:18 08/07/2003 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>>  I also find XSLT to have been a convenient excuse for certain vendors
>> to ignore improving the level of support of CSS in their browsers and in
>> their other tools.
>
>I don't see the logic there Simon.
>Would you expand please?

Internet Explorer.  No support for the new CSS2 display properties, on
grounds that if you're doing XML, you really should be using XSLT.

Microsoft's expectation of XSLT for XML->WordML transformations has also
made some things (like present all new SALE elements in red) impossible,
while a CSS approach would have made such things pretty simple.

XSLT is pretty much perfect for cases where you can't be bothered to do
more than map existing structures to XML.  Unfortunately, putting those
transformations into separate processes creates a lot of brittleness, as I
think Word demonstrates nicely.