   Re: [xml-dev] more politics

Norman Walsh scripsit:

> My point, if I have one, is that I don't see a clear and easy
> distinction between URIs that identify physical things and URIs that
> identify "information resources". At a distance, it's not clear to me
> that you can tell which is which and that suggests that the
> distinction isn't real.

That's not quite the right distinction: a URI that identifies the concept
of leftness is not physical, but it is not an information resource either.
URIs refer to things, almost any kind of things.  The difficulty arises
because many of the things are documents, which themselves have referents.

The URI "http://www.w3.org/Consortium"; refers to a certain document,
whose title is "About the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)", which in turn
refers to a legal entity, the World Wide Web Consortium.  (Fortunately,
this entity does not itself refer to anything.  "The class of Metaclass class
is Metaclass.")

--
My confusion is rapidly waxing          John Cowan
For XML Schema's too taxing:            jcowan@reutershealth.com