   Re: [xml-dev] "Types" of XML (Was Re: [xml-dev] XML databaseenviroment u

<Quote>
isn't this in some sense related to the "binary" representation
problem.  does it matter how they're stored so long as any interaction
with the storage module is XML?
</Quote>

Not exactly - the terms we've been tossing about are really more
"virtual" representations of XML rather than concrete representations.
IOW, they are more about mindset and subjective interpretation.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Rick Marshall wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 00:39, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> > Yes, but one may say "I store my XML documents that I receive from my
> > trading partners in a relational database", thereby blurring the line
> > with record-like. How about "publishing-oriented" and
> > "exchange-oriented", as I recommended in a previous posting?
> >
> isn't this in some sense related to the "binary" representation
> problem.  does it matter how they're stored so long as any interaction
> with the storage module is XML?
>
> > I would also assert that there is a "hybrid" type, in which electronic
> > documents (such as e-forms) use XML as their "backend"
> > ("publishing-oriented"), and subsequently produce XML documents that are
> > then transmitted to trading partners ("exchange-oriented"), thus
> > blurring the line even further.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Joe Chiusano
> > Booz | Allen | Hamilton

> > > When I say record-like, I'm thinking database like records, not
> > > storage records. Ah, the wonders of English. Perhaps field-like or
> > > table-like might be better?
> > > --
> > >
> > >    Elliotte Rusty Harold
> > >    elharo@metalab.unc.edu
> > >    Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
> > >    http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
> > >    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano