   Re: [xml-dev] XML-appropriate editing data structures

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 02:14, Amelia A Lewis wrote:

> helpful.  Much the same is true of over-helpful XML editors (and is the
> main reason I've had trouble using them (this is our return from tangent,
> please note, aren't I being good?)): <element attribute="value"="" >text
> content</element></element> is fairly messed up.  Leave me alone when I'm

I do agree that something like that would be annoying. But I would not
consider an editor that allows malformed tags like that to be a real XML
editor at all. It is a text editor with XML syntax highlighting, which
is a different thing. (Just as a text editor with RTF or MIF
highlighting would not be a word processor.)

> typing.  Give me a key to tap on if I need help.  *However*, several of my
> colleagues absolutely cannot comprehend this attitude, and profess
> themselves unable to survive without automatic code-completion sorts of
> facilities (most of them type slow, too, she sneered).

My favourite XML editor has code completion, but creating a malformed or
otherwise messed up tag is impossible. The code completion is very
customizable. For one thing, inserting an element may trigger a macro
that does just about anything I want it to do. I certainly don't want to
be without it.

For example, When I insert a list, the autocompletion feature inserts a
list with an introductory paragraph, followed by a list item, then moves
the cursor back to the paragraph. When I insert an image link, I get an
image dialog. When I insert a cross-reference or other hyperlink, I get
a hyperlink dialog that allows me to search for the target element in
the current or other documents. (The latter dialog I wrote myself.)

And none of this is slow, unless the document is quite large.

/Henrik