   Re: [xml-dev] XML-appropriate editing data structures

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:28:18 -0700
"Jeff Rafter" <lists@jeffrafter.com> wrote:

> >Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> > Editors that try this stuff are actively crippling. Even if
> > they were wicked fast (which they aren't), this feature would still
> > get in my way and stop me from doing what I need to do. Features like
> > this are harmful by their very nature, irrespective of performance
> > issues.
>
> Man of extremes is right. Again I find myself on (what I assume will be)
> the losing side of an argument : ) How can it possibly be argued that
> they are harmful by nature?

I am *so* in agreement with Elliotte here.  Although I would extend it
beyond XML editors; I absolutely cannot use any programming language
editor that does auto-completion, if it can't be disabled.  And I think
that *that* is a great principle for any editor--don't do *anything* to my
damned document (whether it's narrative or structural) unless I *ask* you
to, thank you very much.

On a slight tangent which will return to the circle relatively quickly, I
can't use auto-completion editors ("code insight" and the like) because I
can't turn my internal auto-completion off.  Having something end up
looking like this: System.out.println("text goes here");n(); isn't
helpful.  Much the same is true of over-helpful XML editors (and is the
main reason I've had trouble using them (this is our return from tangent,
please note, aren't I being good?)): <element attribute="value"="" >text
content</element></element> is fairly messed up.  Leave me alone when I'm
typing.  Give me a key to tap on if I need help.  *However*, several of my
colleagues absolutely cannot comprehend this attitude, and profess
themselves unable to survive without automatic code-completion sorts of
facilities (most of them type slow, too, she sneered).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
You like the taste of danger, it shines like sugar on your lips,