   Re: [xml-dev] XML-appropriate editing data structures

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henrik Martensson" <henrik.martensson@bostream.nu>

> The programmer wouldn't know more about the document. However, the
> programmer is expected to know more about editing XML, and about GUIs,
> and about human-computer interaction.
>
> The purpose of XML is to enable as much automation as possible. Using a
> text editor to write XML documents is missing the point of using XML in
> the first place!

Actually, a lot of us feel the exact opposite. I *hate* visual, GUI editors
for XML. Just as I hate GUI editors for HTML. While in some cases GUI
editors can be more fast, but once you need to code out-of-the-box it can
get extremely frustrating. I'm like Amelia, I end up shouting at the
application "Get out of my way! Let me do what I want to do!" and then I
just open the document Notepad.exe and I have complete freedom.

I think a lot of XML developers come from an HTML background, and this
difference exists in HTML editors too. Those that try to do everything for
you like Dreamweaver or FrontPage, and those that are just text-editors like
Homesite. Some obviously prefer one over the other. To each his own.

> I do not think we will come to an agreement in this thread.

I disagree ;-)

We can come to an agreement, that being that each XML user will have their
own preferences on how they prefer editing their documents, just like HTML
editors. I HATE GUI editors, I've tried all the apps you've refered and feel
they're overbloated and I want a simple tool that lets me do what I want
(which was why, btw, I create xmlHack). Others though, like yourself, prefer
apps that automate facets of XML.

I can't stand that, I prefer free form and no one's going to change my mind.
And visa-versa for you. Nothing we say will change your mind. And honestly,
I don't want to. Use the tool that's the most efficient for you. However, I
will ask you to not try to convince others that "text-editors" are pointless
and archaic. For a lot of XML users, they're just what the doctor ordered.

Bryce K. Nielsen
SysOnyx, Inc. (www.sysonyx.com)
Makers of xmlLinguist, the EDI-to-XML Translator
http://www.xmllinguist.com