   Re: [xml-dev] XPattern Specification

Alan,

>     The word diff scares me.

Don't be scared... they can't hurt you..

>     One obvious extension for XPattern is subsitutions. But it
>     implies streaming the file, which doesn't seem to make sense in
>     this case.

What do you mean exactly by 'streaming the file'? The file is
being streamed in that it is being transmitted in a stream
(a tcp/ip link) and comes in that way line by line.

> ... and if XQuery supports an update,
>     insert, delete syntax. Something like that is more along the
>     lines of what you need.

Yes, but I don't know how it works on a dynamic document rather
than a static one. The underlying document is changing all the
time and the only real thing to rely upon are the stream of
diffs.

In practice, this is much faster than 'send the file again'
which is probably the normal way. That style has it's own
issues.

I guess I would like a language that works on the underlying
static (stored) document, but is able to cope with the events
that arrive from the outside world for it. It would be like
a language for dynamic document handling. This kind of modus
operandi is a very common thing in the business world.

Best Regards

David