   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" mythcome fr

Robin Berjon wrote:

> Then maybe this would be a nice time to explain how XML is being broken
> instead of handwaving FUD in people's faces on xml-dev? To paraphrase
> you somewhat, right now you tend to sound a lot like a Republican
> president looking for WMDs.

Binary file formats are *broken*

Introducing @ and $ and other currently unreserved punctuation
characters as new reserved symbols is *broken*

Prohibiting legal constructs in XML documents such as CDATA sections,
processing instructions, and document type declarations is *broken*

Calling things XML that are not XML is *broken*

(I understand you're not personally guilty of all these sins, but there
are definitely people participating in this thread who are.)

If parts of XML cause unacceptable problems for wireless devices, feel
free to invent a new format that does not have these problems, as long
as you don't falsely call it XML. I certainly don't believe XML needs to
be the one true data format. However, if you really don't think a new
format can achieve adoption on its own merits without falsely waving the
XML banner, then perhaps that format really isn't that good in the first
place.

I refer anyone who wants a more detailed analysis of these points to
Effective XML, especially items 3, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 25,
30, 31, 36, 38, 40, and 50. Several of these are online at

http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/effectivexml/