   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] smallx XML Infoset and Pipeline Released (Open Sourc

* Alex Milowski <alexml@milowski.org> [2005-04-12 16:48]:

> On Apr 12, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:
>
> >Alex Milowski wrote:
> >
> >>In smallx you stream info items--not SAX.  As such, when you receive
> >>a start tag you get the name, attributes, and in-scope namespaces.
> >>In SAX, those are separate callbacks and implementing against that
> >>is much harder.
> >
> >That's blatantly incorrect. Names and attributes are not separate
> >callbacks in SAX. They are passed as arguments to startElement.
> >In-scope namespaces do require separate callbacks, but that's rarely
> >needed.
>
> Yep.  I was thinking of the prefix mappings (startPrefixMapping &
> endPrefixMapping).
> ...typing to fast without thinking.
>
> In-scope namespaces are needed for many applications--including XSLT.
> I also embed
> QName values in many of my applications and there I also need in-scope
> namespaces to
> resolve those QName values.
>
> I still find SAX hard to implement against in terms of "XML >
> Components".  It is OK for a parser interface.  That's my personal
> preference though...

    In my SAX library, XStrategy, I combined namespaces and events.

    The XStrategy framwork maintains a stack of namespaces in scope
    by default. It seemed impossible to get anything done without it.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html