   Re: [xml-dev] Mixed content in data-binding (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Interest

Original Message From: "Paul Downey"
> On 15 Jul 2005, at 08:24, Pete Cordell wrote:

>> important</p>) could possibly have been handled with an <xs:any
>> namespace='xhtml'> construct.  ...
>
> For me, I really like the notion of being able to write an XML document,
> not necessarily XHTML, which contains information to be gleaned using
> XPath and XSLT. Mixed is where it's at.
> Whilst I might be willing to give up all sorts of bits of a schema
> language just to nurse-maid users of data binding tools into having a
> better time, I'm loathed to give up mixed given that turns my documents
> inside out.
>
> Eric's Catch 22 is the problem here, and it's a crying shame the data
> binding tools don't make a better fist of preserving the text which
> surrounds the nuggets of data they're often only interested in.

Being guilty of being a code-head (and a binding one at that - can it get
worse!), I'm keen to know how you'd like us to make a better fist of it.
important</p>" might be to have a class structure that (with any unused
elements ignored) looks like:-

    class p
    {
        string cdata1;        // = "This is "
        class strong strong;
        string cdata2;        // = " important"
    };

    class strong
    {
        string cdata1;        // = "very"
    };

as opposed to (ignoring the CDATA):

    class p
    {
        class strong strong;
    };

    class strong
    {
    };

or (lumping all the mixed text together):

    class p
    {
important</p>"
    };

Or do you just decide that binding isn't the right solution in this case, or
a hybrid is required?

Thanks,

Pete.
Pete Cordell