   XML-with-datatypes (was....)

This is, I guess, the "document-oriented culture", which has its peculiar
needs, as you describe. But there is also the data-oriented culture, with
its own peculiar needs. All what I was hypothesizing, was that the needs
of both could be covered by single syntax and a single data model, without
inconveniencing either of the cultures.

[Len: I am talking about possibilities of designing the thing anew,
however futile that could be. This wouldn't be XML, everyone knows well
that XML is cast in stone, to last for millenia ;-) ]

[Btw, for my education: what does "GI" stand for?]

VG